Sunday, May 15, 2011

Little Things

I have been thinking a lot lately about how overwhelming life can sometimes be.  And, that made me wonder if life is truly more complicated these days or if we complicate our own lives with being overly connected.  We are bombarded daily with world and local news that is usually negative and the result of this is that we often feel disillusioned at best and helpless at worst.  Also, with the advent of the cell phone and texting, we are never out of touch and people tend to expect instant gratification when they text.  It can be the equivalent of a toddler screaming "ME, ME, ME."  Add to that all of the manufactured drama via Facebook and Twitter and it can just get to be too much.  But, we do it to ourselves people.  We can turn off these electronic devices .... right?  I mean, when you think of what makes you happy, is it television, your phone, Facebook?  Probably not.  So, I keep thinking of all of the relatively simple things that make my life a little better ... a little happier.

I love a good mocha.  Do I need this ... no.  But, its a lot of happy in a little cup.

I like color.  I like the way all of the various greens of spring in Oregon play off each other in the sunlight .... or really, in any light.  It is glorious and there is no price for looking.

I love my flip flops when the weather is nice.  Slip them on and off you go ... not much money but, happy feet.  (A good pedi, although slightly spendy, can't hurt either).

I love my bed .... crawling into it and reading at the end of the day or coming home to it after a trip.  That is why I take the time to make it nice.   There is nothing like the smell and feel of nice clean sheets over a cushy mattress.

I love hearing one of my kids coming through the backdoor for an unexpected visit.  They yell, 'Hi Mom' and, yes, my eyes light up.  Their visits are special not only because they are my kids but because they are fun people to be around.

I love sitting with a good friend(s) over coffee or a glass of wine.  We can talk for hours, laugh and catch up and it is some of the best time in my week.  (I turn off my phone for these get togethers by the way.)

Although I could go on and on about the simple pleasures of my life, the common thread here is that not a single 'little' thing that brings happiness to my life depends on electronic gadgets.  Its the down time that makes life pleasurable, that gives us time to renew and refresh our spirits and, maybe most importantly, to think without the constant input from the rest of the world.  Don't get me wrong, I appreciate the convenience of these things when I need them but, I'm hoping that the pendulum will finally swing back to a time that we are in control of our use of these devices and not the other way around.

1 comment:

Lynne (lynnesgiftsfromtheheart) said...

Wow! You put it so well. I'm trying so hard to put all the electronic "things" in my life in perspective, I'll remember you and this post while trying to accompolish that. I can't wait to see your porch completed. I'm looking forward to getting to know you. hugs ~lynne~