Monday, October 4, 2010

Favorite Things

I have always liked the changing of the seasons. I look forward to spring because I can get back out into my yard and get my hands dirty putting out the plants I've been studying in garden magazines. So, it goes without saying that fall brings the same sense of change. I love to put out the fall decorations. This year I had a helper in my daughter and it was much appreciated. I love that trip to the nursery to buy chrysanthemums and pumpkins. I love the bright colors of the changing foliage. I love the crispness in the air and the occasional smell of smoke that drifts through the air. Its time to get out the warm sweaters and change up some of the home decor to reflect the change in the season. Now, I don't even like to cook much but, I will actually get in the mood to make comfort foods at this time of year. There is nothing like the aroma of a pot of chili or a pumpkin loaf baking in the kitchen. Of coarse, I also love all of the wonderful scented candles that appear in stores in the fall. Who could resist some of the names, let alone the scents. A candle that smells like apples and cinnamon that is called 'Home Traditions'? Oh yes! Another favorite .... the twinkling smile of a jack-o-lantern. Its fun to see what people do with their fall and Halloween decorations. So, not only is fall a favorite time of year, full of changes, it is the lead in to the holiday season and so many favorite family traditions. Its time to settle in, nest and slow down. Its time to really appreciate this wonderful life in Oregon and the wonderful changes that come with the seasons.

No comments: