Friday, December 16, 2011

Christmas Decorating

   


Well, I finally managed to find a little time to blog about my Christmas decor this year.  It has been an interesting transition.  I have been one of those 'decorate every inch of the home' type for years.  Until now.  Things are decidedly different this year.  Both of my children got married this year so, I boxed up their personal Christmas ornaments and gave them to each of them.  It is time for them to make their own traditions (incorporating a little of their childhood traditions into new ones).

I used to put up two full-size trees.  I don't anymore.  I just don't have the energy.  And, with just the two of us around most of the time, it hardly seems worth it.  Still, I have enough ornaments on hand that I could do it.  Instead, I decided I can change color themes from year to year.  This year, the theme is white and gold.  I have entire bins of reds and corals and even sage green.




As you can see, I like birds ... a lot.  They always have a way of finding their way into my decor.  And, at Christmas time, the other winged beings ... angels ... are also included.  Here is a picture of a little, vintage snow angel that I have had around for years.  Isn't she lovely?  Notice she is holding a bird in a nest ... win-win.




I do a vintage display with a feather tree, and a vignette of all things glittery or mirror glass.  I love bottle brush trees, and you can see that snow angels are a recurring theme.




This little reindeer is so vintage looking ...




I found this wreath at a local craft sale and since she matched the smaller snow angel I already had, she had to come home with me.




And that is the gist of my Christmas decor.  Even though I have cut down, it wouldn't be obvious to most people coming into my home ... which goes to show that I've got a history of decorating madness.  I also reserve the right to go completely insane when I have grandchildren.  I will make this place magical for them ... just like I did for my own children.

So, Merry Christmas to all of my bloggy friends and may you find joy in all of the preparations you do for your families.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Your home looks beautiful all dressed up for Christmas! I especially love your little deer.

Stephanie said...

You've been busy! The decorations are lovely. I used to go all out and decorate the fireplace mantle but didn't find the energy this year... Can't have a tree with these mangy dogs coveting the ornaments, chomp, chomp.

Sweet Cottage Dreams said...

I just LOVE your style! We have very similar tastes indeed! You have such a knack for making every detail look perfect!

Oh, and happy belated birthday, too! Our birthdays are a day apart! It is no wonder that we love the same things.

Have a very Merry Christmas!!

xxo
Becky