Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Where Am I?

Well, there is nothing like a good wedding to transport a person forward in time and make them wonder if it really happened. And, it was a very good wedding. All of the painstaking plans came off without a hitch, the venues were stunning and the bride ... well, she's my daughter but, she was simply breathtaking. Her intended was not too shabby himself. A good time was had by all. Of course, just when I thought I could breath ... have a little rest and relaxation ... a family emergency caused me to fly with my mother to the east coast. Needless to say, that is not the best of ideas in January but, it couldn't be helped. We went so that my mother could say her goodbyes to her elder sister who was dying. We managed to get there in time and she was lucid enough so the two women could have some time to say their goodbyes and my mom could get some closure. We had planned to stay a week and so we were left with a couple of days after my aunt's passing to help her husband deal with her personal effects. It was a good thing. Then, the 'storm of the century' hit the midwest and there was no way we were going to be able to fly home on that day. Furthermore, air traffic was so disrupted that we had to stay an additional three days. By that time we had been there ten days and had run out of charming little places to dine or get coffee. We were ready to get home. So, we headed off to the Roanoke airport early on a Saturday morning. It was not to be ... well, at least not timely. The airport was socked in with fog and we sat in that tiny airport for nine hours. Our flights were cancelled and rebooked about three times in that one day. Finally, we were able to get to Charlotte, NC and from there to Phoenix. But, alas, there were no more flights out of Phoenix to Portland on Saturday night so we spent the night there ... sans luggage. If you've ever had that experience, enough said. We got out of Phoenix and into Portland at about noon on Sunday and drove the roughly two hours home. By this time, my mom had been sick for a few days and was not doing well and I was beginning to come down with the crud as well. My brother collected mom and took her home and I have been sleeping and/or vegging out since. I have now lost about two weeks since the wedding. Ah, the best laid plans. No spring cleaning and decluttering has happened. The fun vacation with a friend has not happened. But mostly I feel like I have been stuck in the "Twilight Zone" and it hasn't been fun. I'm really looking forward to getting life back on track. After all, there is another family wedding coming up in July!

No comments: